Hi Alan,

Sounds like the firmware upgrade didn't take--possibly due to a
brownout--and has to be retried.

First get out of KX3 Utility and power the PC off/on, in case there's
an issue with the serial ports.

Next, unplug the K3, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. If the
firmware has to be reloaded, you'll see "MCU LD" on VFO B and one LED
will flash. At this point try running KX3 Utility again; it should
load the new firmware.

If this doesn't help, send as much detail as you can to k3support.

73,
Wayne
N6KR