Chuck,

Yes - grinding down the nubs was a bad move. I didn't measure my screws, but
they were too short to even get one turn into the threaded hole. Like you, I
suspect they are just too short for the job.

To remove the paint from the case, I found the easiest way was to use a
Dremel tool with a fine wire brush. I've used that method before on other
projects requiring similar surgery. Makes For pretty quick work compared
with sanding. Another effective way is to use those long, industrial
strength emery boards that beauticians use for filing down women's acrylic
fingernails. They are long, flat and flexible and rip through paint and
lacquer coatings in a flash. They're also great for removing enamel coating
from toroid wire if you don't want to crank up the soldering iron to burn it
off. I use them a lot and a friend who is in the industry keeps me in
supply.

73
John
VK7JB