I came in late so may have missed a point or two.

The R8 is an end fed half wave vertical and the 'matching box' includes a
common mode choke.  It has a very low angle of radiation.  If it is on the
same vertical plane as your station, the antenna will 'hose' it with RF
(have that situation here, so I'm waiting for the KAT500 to heat up the
dipole; it's 50' away).  Placing the R8 directly above your station puts you
in a null, which may give enough lower signal strength to keep things
content and the added height won't hurt either.

This presumes that the 'matching box' contents are still effective as the
ferrite has been known to crack.  It is time to pop open the side of the
black box and see how it looks inside (spider webs arcing, wires
burned/intact etc.).  I'd look for a cracked ferrite, which may show good
SWR at low power, yet when it gets RF hot may do something completely
sideways.

What happens when you turn the Yagi away from your station (most nulls will
be ~45 deg off of the rear)?

When you add ferrites to the cables in the shack, don't forget that RF can
enter at ANY point; audio, USB/serial etc); filter everything.

73,

Rick wa6nhc