Teflon is not a conductor in any sense and cannot be silver plated,
please stop this wrong information.

http://www.druflon.com/ptfeprop.html

http://webphysics.davidson.edu/faculty/dmb/PY430/Friction/teflon.html

PFTE or teflon wire in layman terms refers to the insulation insulating
the wire and not the wire itself,
which does infact need to be a conductor not a insulator. If I say
copper wire, then everyone plainly knows that the wire is made from
copper, but the incorrect term of teflon wire refers to the insulation
only, not the wire.

http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/Teflon.html

PTFE has is a group of elements used in the manufacturing process of the
insulation for wire and cable that reaches high temperatures of 200°C.
PTFE Type E <Teflon/high-temperature-wire-ptfe-type-e.html> is the most
basic type of *high temperature wire* that comes in awg sizes 26 through
10. Other types of single conductor lead wire in high temperature are
Type EE <Teflon/high-temperature-wire-ptfe-type-ee.html> and Type ET
<Teflon/high-temperature-wire-ptfe-type-et.html> which are mostly used
for different voltage applications. Type EE is 1000 volts and Type ET is
250 volts along with a few more minor differences.

PTFE cables are known as STJ high temperature cables
<Teflon/stj-teflon-shielded-cable.html> which stands for *Shielded Tape
Jacket*. Even though it says "shielded" you can still get these PTFE
cables in an unshielded version. STJ cables use the same Type E lead
wires for the conductors so that all of the insulation in the cable is
rated for 200°C.

For various kinds of *high temperature wire*, the National Electric Code
specified that the corrections for the ampacity of each cable should be
done if the wire will be exposed to high temperatures. This especially
holds true when these wires are exposed to temperatures that are higher
than the originally prescribed value. The fixed maximum value for the
temperature is at 86 degrees Fahrenheit or 30 degrees Celsius.

Another factor that should be considered is the amount of current that
passes through the cable. If you are planning to use higher voltage, it
is likely that there will also be a high degree of current that flows
through the cable. When this happens, additional heat builds up not only
in the wire itself but also in the other structures that surround the
wire. These structures include the wire jacket and the wire insulation.

It is important to derate the terminals to improve the ampacity of the
wire that you will use. Ampacity is the acceptable value for the amount
of current that passes through the wire. Usually, this is measured in
Amperes. Another method to improve the ampacity of your wire is through
the use of ampacity correction. Ampacity correction is the manipulation
of a certain factor in order to adjust the ambient temperature of the
high temperature wire <Teflon/high-temperature-wire-ptfe-type-e.html>.
In other words, the fixed value for high temperature tolerace is shifted
to accommodate the high amount of current that passes through this wire.
As a result, the heat produced is significantly decreased.

In the field of industrial heating, most of the standard classifications
of wires can tolerate continuous exposure to temperatures that can be as
high as 200 degrees Celsius. Usually, these cables are covered with an
insulating jacket made of Silicon, PVC or PTFE. Aside from that, these
wires are also equipped with a metallic jacket to preserve the integrity
of the insulation material of the conductor.

These wires are also known to tolerate working temperatures that can go
as high as 630°C. This occurs when the voltage a maximum of
approximately 600 Volts. To withstand these conditions, these wires
should be coated with a different type of insulating unit as compared to
the conventional wires. Commonly, industrial experts have made use of
fiberglass braided jackets and MICA tapes. These are treated with
saturants that were proven to withstand high temperatures. To add
protection to the integrity of the cables, you may also avail of jackets
that are made of stainless steel.

These wires have a lot of uses. In the home setting. It can be used for
(1) microwave ovens; (2) stoves; (3) commercial cooking equipment; (4)
electrical grilling systems; and (5) coffee makers. In the commercial
setting, these can be used for (1) sensors; (2) automotive; (3) oil
exploration equipment; (4) computer units; (5) power plants; (6)
cellular base stations; (7) turbine power generation systems; and (8)
microwave RF systems. Recently, the high temperature wire has also been
used in the military field and the commercial aerospace industry.

Please call with any questions about our PTFE wire or PTFE cables
<Teflon/stj-teflon-unshielded-cable.html>.