I see a similar problem here when using the band change buttons on the
KPA500 -- with KPA500 BAND CHG set to STBY and K3 PWR SET set to PER
BAND. The K3 STBY power level for a band "A" appears to be overwritten
with the OPER power level when the KPA500 is in OPER mode and I shift
to another band "B", causing the KPA500 to change from OPER to STBY.
On return to band "A" the KPA500 is in STBY but the K3 power level is
wrong and must be changed back to the original value (100 W). There is
no problem when KPA500 BAND CHG set to NOR. When I reported it to
Elecraft support they acknowledged the issue and said it would be
sorted out in a future firmware release.

I have KPA500 BAND CHG set to STBY because I use a manually adjusted
balanced antenna tuner and don't want the amp to be in OPER status
until I've re-tuned after a band change.

Bob NW8L