I know this is an older topic but I figured I would post back with some
results. I made up a random wire and counterpoise that are 28' each exactly
as Don mentions - with the BNC-binding post adapter too. This works out
pretty well on 40. I haven't tried the other bands but it seems like it will
work according to Don.

One trick I can offer is to elevate the radiator and counterpoise, don't
just lay the counterpoise on the ground.

Also, tuning was touchy on 40 but the KX3 tuner didn't have any issues with
it, I just moved up the band a bit and re-tuned.

Steve, KC8QVO

Don Butler wrote