Thanks for the suggestion Rich.  I tried this and it works, sort of.

The problem is the K3's scanning algorithm - in ssb / fine, it scans
much too slowly, and in coarse it's too fast and goes past the signal
before it stops.  Generally the scanning is too insensitive and anything
below S3 on the meter won't stop the scan.  A "gain control" on the
scanning function might help to adjust its sensitivity, but I don't see
how to achieve an optimum scan speed.  This remains a weakness of the
K3, unless someone has got better results somehow?

Graham