Steve

Been there done that! The counterpoise will radiate and that RF will
mostly be absorbed into the building or ground. So potentially you
could lose half the radiated signal. EZNEC models of that type of
antenna usually give RF going mostly straight up in the air... Perhaps
OK on 80 or 40 to work locals but generally not much use on the higher
bands.

On trips to my YLs parents place in Spain, I originally had a wire
going vertically up to a fishing rod on a balcony, then horizontal for
about 40 feet, overall length about 70 feet. That was fed against 4
radials, one for each band. The radio was outside on a patio table.

More recently I use a ground plane made from a fishing pole with the
base about 20 or so feet above ground and 2 radials per band, it works
far better. Also a doublet fed with 300 Ohm ribbon works better than
the end fed wire.

Radios are either a K1 or K2 (10W version).

Good luck.

Dave, G4AON