Jim wrote:
So when you use a communications mic, like a Shure 444 or the wildly
overpriced
Heil mics, you're simply compensating for that standard that was wrong in
the
first place!  All of these mics have some variation of that peaked response
in
the 2-4 kHz region.

----------------------
As far as the audio bandpass range is concerned, Ham practice followed
commercial practice. The use of an upper frequency of about 2.5 kHz for
communications goes way back to WWII at least when AM transmitters were
designed with a bandwidth of 5 KHz (2.5 KHz per sideband). In the 1960's we
carefully rolled off telephone bandwidths for conventional lines at 2.5 KHz.
I haven't worked in the telephone industry since, but I believe that's still
the upper limit due to the use of frequencies right above 2.5 KHz for
signaling. (Wideband lines were used for broadcasters and other services of
course, and AM broadcasters were allowed exactly twice the bandwidth - 10
KHz - for music.)

Yes, I'm familiar with the standard "communications" mics. A classic example
is the D-104. It has a characteristic that puts the output at 500 Hz a full
12 dB below the output at 2.5 kHz. It continues to slope to more than 20 dB
below the peak at 100 Hz. I have never heard the claim that response was
intended to overcome the upper frequency limit of the transmitter, but that
extensive research had shown that a rising characteristic within the normal
communications bandwidth of about 300 to 2500 Hz produced the highest level
of intelligibility.

That rising characteristic (high-frequency emphasis) is usually provided by
the mic, as you pointed out, while the low frequency cut was traditionally
provided by the choice of capacitors in the audio amplifiers.

In the K2, the low frequencies are suppressed very effectively by the OPT1
filter if it's properly aligned.

Are you suggesting that those low frequencies are somehow being distorted or
causing other problems in the audio I.C. in the K2 before they get to the
filter?

Ron AC7AC