Lynn,

Go ahead with the 240 volt installation.  Any amp that develops that much
power should rightfully be powered from a 240 volt circuit.  Although it may
run on 120 volts, it will draw a significant ampunt of current and may even
exceed the rating of a 120 volt household circuit - the full rated capacity
for a 15 amp 120 volt circuit is 1800 watts, and 1300 watts is usually
considered the maximum practical draw (ever notice that few hair dryers an
toaster ovens draw more than 1300 watts!!!

While you are at it, consider using the next larger wire size than that
required by NEC - the voltage drop at load will be less - a 15 amp circuit
could use #14 wire, but I recommend using #12 (#10 for 20 amp) - of course
if the run from the breaker panel is short, the voltage drop will be small
even with the normally rated wire.

73,
Don W3FPR