Hi Kevin,

Actually, I think this list is very appropriate for your question. I think
far too many people are looking at the KX3 through rose colored glasses, to
use a tired old phrase. I received KX3 kit, serial number 557, on June 29th,
by coincidence my seventieth birthday. The parts list and the actual
inventory did not match but the kit went together anyway. There seemed to be
many hardware errors that were miraculously made up by a package of "extra"
hardware. And there was quite a bit of left over hardware. Odd

I found the assembling of the two halves to be quite vexing. The speaker and
battery wires caused major problems as they kept getting into the way. It
seems they will always be an issue. In addition, the legs, dangling as they
do, hold the case fasteners at an odd angle and exacerbate an already vexing
problem. Clearly the legs could use a better mechanical design, independent
of the case fasteners. Once assembled the KX3 powered up with no issues but
I was stunned by the poor audio. The distortion was unacceptable at any
level above a low, unlistenable volume. I thought it might be the speaker so
I attached external, powered speakers and got the same result. I have read
on this list that one should just use earbuds or headphones. As one who uses
two hearing aids, earbuds are unacceptable and I don't think I should be
forced to use headphones in a very quiet radio room. The speaker has to
work! And now I find I need to install the grille cloth because of bad
directions. Someone also suggested grinding or filing away portions of the
case around the speaker. I'm not about to do something so drastic on a piece
of electronic gear!

The result of all that was I have set the radio aside and consider it
useless in its present form. I have read of firmware revisions but they seem
unacceptable at this point. Revision 1.10 was noted just today as causing a
fatal flaw in certain KX3's and the advice was to wait for revision 1.12
which will not be out for a while. Duhhhhh. In reading the various emails it
seems that for every step Elecraft takes ahead in firmware, they take almost
a step back in issues the new revision creates. In addition, there are still
things not implemented. I wonder how the editors of QST would feel if they
knew Elecraft advertisements in their magazine were claiming features that
were not available yet? I can't recall Yaesu, Kenwood, or Icom ever doing
that.

Here in Maine the KX3 would be classified as a blivet, two pounds of
you-know-what in a one pound bag. If it had been made just a quarter or half
inch longer, taller, or deeper it would be a far better radio. Perhaps
Elecraft could offer a back case that is one quarter of an inch deeper as a
retrofit. I'd buy one.

I am not trying to say that the KX3 is not a good radio, it's just not ready
for "Prime Time". It will be awesome when it is fully implemented but when
will that be? If I have any advice for Elecraft it would be to sit down and
list all the issues, with all their products, and set firm dates for
resolving them, and then stick to that schedule. Elecraft gives the
impression of having too many balls in the air, all the time, and thus are
being forced to nibble at the issues.

To answer your last question, there is no XYZ radio that I wish I had
bought. Nothing has the capabilities/specifications of the KX3 at the
present time. It's the KX3 or a giant step back to the FT-817ND.

So there you have it Kevin. I own a $1400 paperweight that may someday be
transformed into a great radio. My advice to you is to wait a bit longer to
see how the radio evolves.

73,
Harry White
K1RSA