From: "FredJensen" <k6...@foothill.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2012 11:49:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Unhappy With Your KX3?

On 8/4/2012 2:36 PM, Rich wrote:
> I'm curious, where has Elecraft advertised or marketed the KX3 as a
> "base station" radio? My quick review only finds portable operation
> references. The only references to base station use I find is from user
> comments. Am I missing something?
>
> Rich
> NU6T
Don't think so Rich. I too have looked and don't think Elecraft has
ever *marketed* the KX3 as a home station radio, although it could
certainly be used that way. So could an FT-817, K2 [I know of several
in that sort of service], or even a K1. An ATS3x could be used that
way too ... not its design goal however. If "it" receives and makes RF,
you can use it at home. Everything I've heard from Elecraft, both in
print [QST ads] and in person [Pacificon and elsewhere] have put the KX3
in the class of a "highly portable transceiver with a lot of K3-like
performance and features." I've also never heard or seen it promoted
as an "extreme backpacking trail radio" either, however it probably
could be used as such under at least some trail conditions, although the
KX1 comes to mind as a better choice at night in a tent.

Every time I see a KX3, real or in a photo, it calls out to me, Business
Traveler Radio, followed closely by Leisure Traveler Radio. I'm
retired, I no longer do business travel, and my KX1, K2,
K3/P3/KPA500/KAT500 are likely going to be it for me in the realm of
Elecraft radios. But I've never seen the KX3 *marketed* as a home
station radio, just that you can use it there as well as elsewhere.

And to the discussion regarding loudspeaker quality: Folks, have you
even bothered to look at the size of the KX3 speaker? Has everyone
forgotten the physics of audio transducers? If you want incredibly full
and great [near-broadcast quality] audio, I refer you to
http://www.radioblvd.com/Pre-WWII%20Ham%20Gear.htm ... scroll down near
the bottom of the page to "Hallicrafters SX-28 and R12 Bass Reflex
Speaker." I inherited this receiver from the family of "Woody," W6ANX
[SK], some years ago. The audio quality was incredibly good reminding
me of the AM days when you could still hear the clang of the relays
reverberating in his shack as your QSO buddy brought up his carrier. I
used it in one Sweepstakes single band CW with an ARC-5 TX. Very
nostalgic and fun ... for a couple of hours. :-) And, the SX-28 was
great insurance against the possibility of gravity outages as well. I
finally donated it to the museum so others could see and hear it and I
highly recommend a visit if you find yourself in historic Virginia City NV.

> On 8/4/2012 6:42 AM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
>> Nevertheless I would still expect from a rig marketed (not designed!) as a
>> base station rig to provide sufficient audio from it's internal speaker. And
>> it's nothing new or magic, even the now 11 years old FT-817 provides enough
>> "oomph" from it's internal speaker if wanted. ;-)
Can you point me at any Elecraft advertisements that overtly *market*
the KX3 as a home station transceiver?

73,

Fred K6DGW/7
Sparks NV