Hello Bill,

As an overseas user, the only communication means for me with Elecraft is via
email.  From my past experience with the support crew in elecraft, they gave me
their replies well within 24 hours.

Don is correct that the repair technicians are not necessarily the same crews
in support section.  The RSA# issued by Elecraft is very good reference for
communication with them.  In my correspondence with elecraft, I always
include my callsign, K3 serial number and RSA#.

Again, as said by Don, Madelyn will be a good point of contact by giving her
your RSA#.  She has great patience in answering questions.  I once asked her
about the details of overseas shipping costs.  She took the trouble to give me
comprehensive answers.

When you get back your repaired K3 from Elecraft, you will be given a
summary report with information of contact personal.  You can contact that
particular technician / elecraft staff if you have further questions about the
repair.

The above was my own personal experience.  For my own educational purpose, I
did write to the technician who repaired my radio for further technical details
of the repair work done.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 寄件人︰ Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
收件人︰ Bill <b...@w2blc.net>
副本(CC)︰ elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期︰ 2012年08月7日 (週二) 11:57 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3- support courtesy

Bill,

While it has no excuse, let me share some possible facts that may have
contributed to your lack of a timely response.

I suspect that there is a contributing factor - the repair person
working on your K3 (or scheduled for the repair) did not receive your
email that was directed to supp...@elecraft.com - because the support
people usually do not know the person to whom that email should be
forwarded.

If you included your call and the RSA number in the subject of the
email, that should have been resolved - those two items of information
are the quickest paths to getting a valid response.  Not all techs doing
repairs monitor the traffic on the supp...@elecraft.com emails.  For
instance, I do repairs on the Elecraft legacy gear, and I do not monitor
emails to supp...@elecraft.com - that is just too much traffic for me to
handle properly.  If those wanting status on gear I have here for repair
do not send to d...@elecraft.com, it may be a while before I get the
information.  Your call and the RSA number in the subject of the email
are important for it to get prompt attention.

What that means is - if a customer sends a query about the status of a
repair I am handling to supp...@elecraft.com, it will be quite a while
before someone figures out that I have been assigned to that repair and
I finally get the email query.

Madelyn hands out the RSA work to the available techs, so an email to
made...@elecraft.com will usually obtain a timely response - she knows
where to direct the question.

Sorry for your lack of response, and I hope my explanation will help you
to understand why you did not receive a response.  I know that is an
"excuse", but is really "the way it is".  Perhaps someone will come up
with a solution, but for the real- time interval, supp...@elecraft.com
is the place for questions until an RSA has been issued, and after that
an email to made...@elecraft.com (or sa...@elecraft.com) is the quickest
way to route your question to the proper place.

Repairs are done all over the globe - yes, Watsonville, CA, but also
Arizona and North Carolina as well as in Japan, and Germany and Italy.

Again, once an RSA has been issued, your short path to status
information is to contact the person you shipped the transceiver to (if
you know that), but lacking that information (because it was shipped to
Watsonville), contact made...@elecraft.com or sa...@elecraft.com.

OK, I am not trying to make apologies or excuses, I am hopefully
communicating the real world situation of what exists today and giving
you some clues as to how to best work with the current conditions.

Elecraft is expanding - there are at least 2 additional people in the
sales office that I have not yet been introduced to (I only see their
names - I am in North Carolina and communicate mostly via email), and
there have been additional people in the support organization that I
have not yet had "encounters" with.  That may mean that it is time to
review the old communication paths that worked well with a smaller
staff, but those older paths may now have some failings and may be in
need of updating or further coordination - I leave that question and
answer to Wayne and Eric..

73,
Don W3FPR

73,