Gary,

One answer to your first question is that the results of IMDDR3 tests at 2
kHz spacing, performed with a 500 Hz IF filter inline, do not themselves
tell you how a receiver will cope with two or more close spaced and strong
signals inside its 500 Hz passband.  In the case of a superhet, these tests
at 2 kHz spacing only provide a measure of the IMDDR3 of the front end and
usually the input part of the 500 Hz IF filter.  They do not expose any "IMD
weakness" which might exist in the complete IF filter, the IF or the backend
of a receiver.

73,

Geoff
LX2AO