Hi Brian,

Yes, if you use a single paddle, the logic in the keyer doesn't affect you,
but I wouldn't call that "using" iambic. Given that there are so many dual
paddles on the market, and so few singles, I have to believe that most hams
that use an electronic keyer are currently using dual paddles with iambic
keyer logic. My theory is that this can be shown to have a small but
statistically negative effect on the average quality of sending, and thus on
operator satisfaction, and on the popularity of cw ragchewing. The cause of
ham radio would therefore be advanced if the elite iambic features were not
compulsory. Unless of course most of those operators have learnt squeeze
keying, and you and I are in the minority. I think to be meaningful, a poll
should probably not be conducted by messages here, but on some website that
has a polling feature. Congrat's on your doing 45 wpm with a single paddle.
Maybe I am just too lazy, and spending-averse, and too squeemish about the
larger paddle movement, to get a single paddle and be able to go faster that
way.

73,

Erik K7TV

Hi Eric,

I use iambic --- sort of.  I came through the ranks of bug and single lever
keyers where you had to supply your own timing.  Hence transitioning to
iambic on a single level paddle was easy.  Just keep doing what one always
did.  No real benefit of a dual paddle.  Once I get much above 45 wpm, it's
time to use the keyboard.

Same thing with a CW keyboard.  Typing was taught in high school by rhythm
and thus typing the next character at the right time was easy.

With one key rollover, one can just about forget the need for a buffer.

I really pity the person who is trying to learn to use a dual lever paddle
from scratch with any type of keying logic.  My perception is that squeezing
timing is much more unnatural and difficult to achieve than back and forth
"slapping".  Of course, the rest of the CW world has mastered it, so it's
obviously not impossible.

I think your survey needs to include how many really CW ragchew. That number
has got to be small. All of this stuff becomes unnecessary if one just
engages in 599 73 QSO's.

73 de Brian/K3KO