On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:34:12 +0200, Oliver Dröse <dro...@necg.de> wrote:

[snip]
>I understood that Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom start with an a bit higher price (but
>still acceptable otherwise they would not sell their radios) and after
>"earning" all the development costs (and "milking" the early adaptors who
>always need the newest and "best") they can and do decrease the product
>prices as they only have the production costs then (including margin, etc.).
>Typical mass-production mechanisms.
>

>So what is different at Elecraft?

You forget one thing.

You cannot buy a rig directly from the giant rig manufacturers.  The price you
pay for them is the mark-up the dealer makes so he/she can make a profit.
Another thing to take into account is that it's the dealer who charges you more
for your new (I want it before anyone else product) in the beginning because
he/she knows you will pay extra for the latest thing, so you can tell others you
have one, or so you can test it against you current rig and report on it before
anyone else does.....

No malice is intended in my statement.  That's just how some folks are.

[snip]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member