There are 50 ohm and 72 ohm BNC's.  They look the same.  They differ in
the pin details and dielectric used.

See for example:
http://www.milestek.com/blog/index.php/2011/04/50-ohm-vs-75-ohm-bnc-connectors-explained/

They supposedly can be plugged in to the "other type" without damage.
I'm not sure just what that means.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 8/17/2012 17:15, Rowland R Johnson wrote:
> I had the same problem. Replacing the BNC coax cable (between the P3 and
> K3) with one I had lying around fixed it. Howard at Elecraft tech
> support then sent a new cable that arrived 36 hours after I talked to
> him. This new cable from Elecraft worked fine, for a while, but then
> started having the same kinds of problems. I put my old cable that I had
> lying around back on and it's worked for several months now.
>
> I haven't pursued getting a second replacement from Elecraft because it
> hardly seems worthwhile. In addition, it's not 100% clear to me that the
> problem is the cable. With the 2 Elecraft cables I've noticed some
> difficulty in connecting the BNC plug to the BNC receptacle on the back
> of the P3. Not so with my old cable. The supposition being that the
> physical dimensions of BNC receptacle on the P3 aren't quite right.
> Whereas the new cables have a problem fitting, my old cable may be worn
> enough that it fits anyway.
>

> On 8/17/2012 9:00 AM, Gene Trasti wrote:
>>> P3 with svga
>>>
>>> I have a considerable amount of "hash" on my panadapter screen.  It tracks
>>> the same spot on all bands.  All my equipment is very well grounded.  I
>>> have measured my shack for RFI-it is very clean.  I swapped out my
>>> switching power supply for a highly filtered one.  I even purchased a
>>> pretty expensive ac terminal strip with isolation transformers.  I have
>>> been through the house and have virtually switched off and unplugged
>>> everything-nothing seems to help.  This hash takes up a pretty healthy
>>> portion of the bandwidth.  Any sugestions would be appreciated.  Is it
>>> possible that this could be a problem with the P3 or K3 they are both
>>> factory built-although I added the svga board using a wrist ground..
>>>

>>> Gene. W6jmp

-----
No virus found in this message.