I took my first FCC exam in 1960 for the General (and did not pass
the CW exam).  This was in Detroit in an old office building with
austere gov't issue "everything", including the examiners.  The CW
test was the old five random character test of which 1-minute must be
perfect copy.

Many years later (1982) I re-took the General exam at the FCC office
in Anchorage, AK.  This time the CW test was ten multiple choice
questions about the clear-text CW that was sent.  One only needed to
pass 7 questions.  I passed.  I took the Advanced a month later with
ease (I had passed the Second Class Radiotelephone in 1971 so the
General was easy).

In 2000 I took my Extra before my local VE and it was only the
written test as they had lowered the CW requirement to 13wpm.  I joke
that I have "the Slow-Code Extra".

The FCC examining was definitely harder in my estimation.  There are
better technical questions on the newer exams, though.  The Second
Class was technically way above extra.  Glad I took it when questions
were still about vacuum tubes.

73, Ed - KL7UW
1958 Novice - KN8MWA
1959 Technician - K8MWA