Hi Mike,

Yes - it is possible to do as you suggest - use the absolute S-Meter mode. For
a long time I resisted switching to absolute mode for no good reason other than
not wanting to deviate from a default setting.

Because I usually keep RF gain at about the 1 o'clock position, for a long time
I dithered along with S-Meter readings that were uncorrected for RF gain
setting.

A month or two ago I switched to absolute mode and have never looked back.
Recommended. Someone recently suggested the absolute mode be made the default
and I agree.

This is done via the CONFIG: SMTR MD setting and is further described on page
51 of the current K3 Owner's Manual.

73 de Tyler, KC2LST

Is it possible to make the s meter unaffected by rf gain. I suppose it's not.

73
Mike R

Play me some fiddle, but no stinkin' violin!

Amateur/Ham Radio KE5GBC
HF & Echolink mobile