Hi Keith,

Your installation sounds like a great project. It will be fun to see
pictures and descriptions of the finished product! I plan to do KX3 mobile
when the 100W amp is available.

What antenna and tuning device/procedure are you planning to use? (Right
now I have a Yaesu FT-857D with the ATAS-120A antenna, so tuning the
antenna is a simple one button operation. Of course, the radio has nowhere
near the dynamic range and capability of the KX3! Thus the planned change.)

The iSDR app does not do any radio control, of course, just listens to the
IQ and provides a panadapter/waterfall and second receiver. I use the
Griffin iMic with my iPad2. I find that I prefer to set the iSDR center
frequency to 0.000 so that I don't have to update it each time as I tune
the KX3 around. Tuning on the iSDR then, shows the delta. (Maybe I'm
missing something here... any tips are appreciated!)

For radio control and logging, I use HamLog by Nick N3WG. The KX3 is
connected to his PigTail Wifi hotspot via an Elecraft serial cable. The
iPad is then connected to the PigTail via WiFi. HamLog reads frequency,
mode, and S-meter from the radio, along with providing direct two way
control/communication of most of the radio's functions. One of the control
presents a pictorial representation of the radio itself so all the controls
are in familiar locations. Nick has a number of interesting apps and
projects. Check them out here: http://pignology.net/

The only downside on iOS is that we can only see one app on the screen at
one time since iOS doesn't do split screen. Instead, we have to hop back
and forth between the apps. At a recent event for the Atlanta Radio Club, I
borrowed another iPad and we had iSDR on one and HamLog on the other at the
same time. Certainly not backpack portable, and not really useful for
mobile, but for "picnic table portable" or base station installation it
was fun to look at and use!

Good luck with your project!

Thanks,
JP