From: VE3GNO Daniel [mailto:yo3...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2012 5:23 AM
To: Fred Smith; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 DNR

Hi Fred,

I have a similar set-up with yours, on one side K3+P3 and other side
FT5K+SM5K+LPpan both connected to Quadra amp. My primary choise for low
bands is K3 due excellent flexibility of AGC and static noise exclusion from
AGC loop. My FT5K is batch March 2010 and K3 is Dec 2011 with
2.7/2.1/400/250 roofs with dual RX. Side by side in low bands (40 and lower)
the K3 performs far better than FT5K mainly due AGC/NR setting combination,
on higher bands mostly in SSB my choise is FT5K due excellent DNR
algorithms. Now there is no perfect radio in the world, in my humble
oppinion the combination K3+FT5K is the killing one. BTW, I feed both audio
outputs in SM5K speakers via a Behringer HA4700 (feeding also two headphones
and one computer sound card) so I spent many hours A/B analysis.

Another remark, the learning curve of K3 was few times longer than FT5K, I
still play around with different DSP/AGC/NB combinations  in different band
conditions, I have abt 4-5 standard setting combinations for
CW/SSB/digitals, antenna type, prop cond type.

vy73 de VE3GNO Daniel

www.qrz.com/db/ve3gno