On Sep 1, 2012, at 9:02 PM, Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I am puzzled why a bad EL5146C would cause an INFO 080 problem. INFO 080
> normally is the inability of the MCU to properly communicate with another
> firmware processor.  While it is entirely possible that the EL5146C was
> dragging down the output of the +5v regulator and causing the KPA100 firmware
> IC to fault, but I cannot tell from this distance.

Don, that was exactly the problem. The EL5146C had shorted internally, and was
bringing the 78L05 to current limit at about 1 volt.

> As for your wattmeter problems, I suspect that the diodes D16 and D17 may be
> "half bad".  Yes, that is rare, but possible - they have been damaged enough
> to change their characteristics but not make them either open or shorted.
>
> I would recommend arbitrarily replacing them and then try the wattmeter
> calibration again.
> For initial settings, adjust R26 to produce 43k ohms to ground as measured at
> U5 pin 5, and R27 to give 43k ohms as measured at U5 pin 3.
>
> After that do the null adjustment and see what happens.

I have some 1N5711's on order from Mouser. Can I substitute plain silicon or
germanium diodes as a temporary diagnostic tool? 1N914, 1N4148, 1N270, 1N4001,
1N4007 are some that I have on hand.