> Due to the different impedences between the two it did not work
> (driving one by itself was fine...but not both). I had to add a
> buffer circuit between the ACCY output and the band decoder input.

The Quadra has 1K series resistors and its inputs are clamped with
diodes to +5V/Ground driving a CMOS buffer/line driver configured
as a switch (input 1/input 2) .  The KK1L decoder has 3.3K series
resistors to the opto.

In all probability the Quadra is "hogging" the available current
from the band data outputs and the PS2501 optos are not getting
enough drive.  Replacing the 3K3 Ohm with 1K Ohm input resistors
would probably have been preferable.  Even without any loading by
the Quadra, with the K3's 2K2 pull-up and 3K3 current limiting
resistors LED current will be less than 1 mA which is marginal
for a PS2501/4N32 type opto that has a typical current transfer
ratio between 300 and 500% (current gain of only 3 to 5).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV