Hi all,

The UK amateurs voted by a reasonable but no a large majority to drop
the code post WRC03.

The issue for the administration (then the Radiocommunications Agency
- RA) was a defensible licensing need.  Historically CW was the only
common mode between amateurs and the other users with whom they
shared many bands.  Consequently a valid case could be made to need a
code test.  Now all the other (professional) users have dropped the
code so there is no licensing need.  The RA would not have won a
challenge to demonstrate why a license to operate on HF required code
ability.  The other examinable features of the licence examinations
can be justified.

I cannot speak for how the FCC will regard the matter or for US
jurisprudence, but if they make a rule for which they cannot provide
a justifiable need, then I assume they are liable to legal challenge.
 Ergo, you have to provide them with a need to retain code testing
that they can stand up and say whilst keeping a straight face.

Regards   Alan  G0HIQ