Matt,

The T1 can be tuned with a carrier (CW, digital, AM, or FM modes), or with speech (SSB modes). It re-tunes quickly from memory once an initial match has been found on each band, so even speech-based retuning is practical.

The optional T1 remote-control cable for the FT817 makes things even simpler. Once you've tuned up the T1 on all bands, a band change at the rig will recall the right tuner L/C components on each band without transmitting.

Wayne
N6K