Hi Paul,

I came to my KX1 after having successfully built several Heathkits back in the
day, but nothing in the intervening 25 years. So I counted myself as starting
over with the KX1 as my first build. I found it helpful to build the basic
radio first, use it for a bit to get the hang of it, then move back to the mod.
Yes, you have to unbutton the case again and remove some parts, add some
others, and scratch a gap in a circuit board. I wasn't sure I wanted to do that
either. But on reflection I found it easier to follow one set of instructions
at a time, rather than try to splice one set into another. For me, it kept
things clear and direct. I realize your mileage may vary...

With best regards,

Pete
W1PNS