I have for sale a Clifton Labs Active Antenna system plus extras as will be
described below.  This is a receive-only active whip with a very small
footprint and visual impact that is ideal for use with a K3 as a secondary
vertically polarized antenna for diversity reception.  Specified frequency
range is 20 KHz to 30 MHz, but will receive up to 100 MHz with reduced
performance.

The system has two main components:  A remotely located whip with a
preamplifier at its base (Z1501D), and an in-shack control unit /antenna
coupler (Z1203A).  The antenna coupler requires the typical 13.8V nominal DC,
but will operate over a wider range.  The coupler unit supplies power to the
remote preamplifier over the coax interconnecting cable.  A control cable
between the coupler unit and a transceiver can be used to turn off the antenna
amplifier when transmitting (automatic muting).  This will easily follow CW
keying for QSK.   It interfaces well with the K3 for this purpose.

This product was designed by Jack Smith, K8Z0A, and is an example of the
bullet-proof (both electrically and mechanically) products that he provides.  I
purchased this system new in 2010 and it has been performing flawlessly in my
diversity RX setup.  It has been a terrific addition to my CW contesting
station which I am now in the process of decommissioning. The amplifier section
is very robust.  3rd order output intercept is +40 dBm.  2nd order output
intercept > +73 dBm.  In addition to ham band usage, this antenna is great for
SWL and broadcast band listening.

For additional information, complete specifications, application notes, photos,
etc. see the excellent Clifton Labs website:  http://cliftonlaboratories.com

The black whip antenna is adjustable from 22 to 112 inches in length so that
you can adjust it for the sensitivity you desire.  The whip and amplifier
assembly can be mounted to a vertical pipe from 1 to 2 inches in diameter with
the supplied U bolts.  Or it can be screwed to a post or fence.  I had mine
attached to a perimeter wooden fence mounted about 6 ft above ground and it
worked very well.  I painted the external amplifier and mounting bracket with a
textured medium gray/brown paint which gives a very stealth appearance if you
live in an antenna restricted location such as mine.

The transmitter control cable is terminated in RCA connectors.   The power
cable is set up with a PowerPole plug.  All the signal cable connectors are
BNC.  The length and type of cable between the two units is very non-critical.
It can be either 50 or 75 ohm.  I used a combination of RG-58 and RG-8X, but
even smaller cable such as RG-174 could be used as well as CATV 75 ohm cable.

I added a three position switch and a yellow LED to the antenna coupler unit.
The switch allows for manually turning the antenna on or off as well as using
the automatic control for muting from a transmitter.  The yellow LED shows the
power state of the antenna amplifier itself, while the standard green LED shows
when DC is connected to the unit.  This setup provides some additional
operational flexibility compared to the stock arrangement.

I also designed and built some common-mode chokes to use in the coax between
the two units.   This addition, while not absolutely required, will allow for
enhanced common-mode rejection of strong local signals.  There is one small
choke directly at the output of the remote amplifier. I am also supplying two
other larger chokes, each packaged in water resistant enclosures with BNC
connectors.  Each of these chokes is comprised of 6 turns of coax on two type
31 large beads (Fair-rite PN 2631102002).  This provides very good common-mode
rejection from below 500 KHz to over 30 MHz.  Test data are supplied.  I
mounted one of these midway in the coax run and the second one just before the
coax entered the house.  Each of these chokes has a connection to the coax
shield on both sides of the inductor.  These can be used to easily connect any
of these points to a ground rod.  This connection can be used to optimize the
overall common-mode rejection, but experimentation will be require
 d as a function of your location, system layout and frequency of the
common-mode signal you are trying to minimize.  In my case, I had two of these
points tied to ground.   Note that the system will work well in most all cases
without using any of these chokes!

Your purchase includes the whip, remote antenna amplifier, in-shack antenna
coupler/control unit, mounting hardware, all manuals and documentation,
schematics, DC power cable, control cable for muting when transmitting, and the
three common-mode chokes.  You need only supply the coax interconnecting
cable(s).

This system currently sells for $290.  My price is $200.  PayPal only, please.
 Shipping via insured ground UPS should be from $15 to $20 depending on your
lower 48 QTH.  Provide your zip and I can give you the exact amount.

If interested, please contact me directly via email:    cr...@powersmith.net

73  Craig  AC0DS