Bob,

The XG3 is quite a capable signal generator.  It can do a lot,
especially when used with the XG3 Utility program, and sounds like it
would be excellent for the purposes you have stated.  It is quite stable
both frequency wise and output level wise.

Drawbacks of the XG3 as I see it is that one cannot simply add an
attenuator to obtain extremely low signal levels (for true MDS
measurements), the XG3 is not shielded.  The only other downside is that
it has a square wave output.  That is not normally a problem because you
would inject the signal into the tuned circuits of a receiver front end,
and those tuned circuits turn the waveform into a nice sine wave.

73,
Don W3FPR