Power supply fusing can be tricky.  It has been my practice to use ptc
devices embedded into a transformer primary as the "fuse," they're sometimes
called everlasting fuses.  They detect temperature in their immediate
environment (eg transformer winding) and due to self-heating.  They trip at
a particular temperature and suddenly go high resistance, reducing current
flow to very low (safe) level.  They can only be reset by removing the power
completely for a short time, if the environment has cooled down enough.
They enable very stringent Eu safety regs to met with relative ease.  Mass
produced transformer bobbins are often made with a little pocket in the
moulding to hold the device.

Ordinary thermal fuses are often mis-used.  Some common fuses are rated to
blow in 30s with 2.1 times their current rating.  Many circuits cannot
generate sufficient current so the fuse will never blow except in times of a
dead short.  In a supply primary, thermal lag fuses are fitted to prevent
them blowing at start-up which exacerbates the problem.  Answer: use a ptc
device, it will protect that expensive transformer from cooking itself to
death.

David
G3UNA