Don & The List,

There is a free program called "The Mill" but it requires that you
boot your computer in DOS and it will control the DB9 serial connector.

The Mill is a learning tool and it will teach you code up to about 40
WPM.  In the particular application I think you want, it will print
what you type on the screen and it changes colors as it goes out to
your transmitter if you should type faster than the speed you set.

http://home.comcast.net/~w4fok/

This link will take you to the home page of "THE  MILL."