It appears that the folks who can't hear the wow-wow zero beat note are

failing to turn on SPOT as specified in the K3 Owner's Manual for
Method 2.

Zero-beating the SPOT sidetone against the signal doesn't require
hearing
low tones, only hearing the amplitude modulation (wow-wow) of the
sidetone
as zero beat is approached.  The variation in amplitude is easily
heard;
it sounds just like severe QSB or "picket fencing."

The procedure works best if the monitor sidetone (SPOT) level is set
about
as loud as the comparison WWV signal, using the front-panel MON
control.

I frequently find it necessary to turn SPOT back on as I tweak my Ref
Osc.
For whatever reason, SPOT often turns itself off, at least for me.

73, Paul W8TM

Eric WA6HHQ  sed:
>  Is your RX EQ set to roll off lower freqs? The 1-5 Hz zero beat note
is
>  easily heard when listening to the WWV carrier beating against the
CW