> A band data connection allows the KAT500 to switch when you change
> bands on the K3, before you transmit. That saves a few hundred msec.
> So far, I've not seen the need for it.

A band data connection allows the KAT500 to switch *before* RF is
applied rather than hot switching *after* RF begins.  I would be
very concerned about the service life of the relays when using RF
switching at high power - particularly in a "constant power mode"
like RTTY.

Most relays have significantly higher "carry" ratings than "switch"
ratings and will not survive repeated switching at full power.
While the KAT500 may be fast enough to switch during the "ramp up"
time at the start of a transmission, that is still pushing the
envelope - particularly if one is using it with a "legal limit
amplifier".

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV