Bill,

It is time to ask some "dumb questions".
You mentioned tones - if you are using soundcard generated RTTY tones,
are you set for AFSK A data submode?

You say the Transmit button does not turn on the K3 to transmit. Are you
tapping the XMIT button?  When you do that, does the red TX LED turn
on?  If so, the K3 is in the transmit state.

Adjust the line in gain and the soundcard audio controls to give you 4
bars solid with the 5th bar flashing on the ALC meter display. Ignore
the conventional wisdom found on the internet - the K3 is different -
set the desired power level with the power knob, not the audio level.

Normally, the K3 can run in VOX mode, or the software application can
assert transmit for you if you tell that application how to do that.

73,
Don W3FPR