David,

The "magic" in your question has to do with the way the K3 (and the K2
if there are any listeners) control the power output.  It has little to
do with ALC, but has much to do with the amount of detected RF at the
output.  The K3 (K2) compares the measured RF output with the requested
power and adjusts the drive level to try to make them equal.  This is a
closed loop control system.

Most other transceivers simply adjust the drive level without measuring
the actual output, so the conventional wisdom works for those
transceivers which use this open loop system.  Elecraft is different and
does not respond well to the "conventional wisdom".

73,
Don W3FPR