I have a base (12 watt) K3 and find 5 watts quite adequate for
my mostly PSK operation. With the sunspots the way they are, I
can reach the south Pacific on a good night. Narrow band modes
like CW and PSK work well with low power.

I spent my extra cash on the T1 tuner, the 2M option, the FM
filter, and the 250Hz filter. I also have the Elecraft cool aid
running in my blood so I have a P3 on order. My plan is to move
up to 100 watts when the sunspots die down. Right now I'm having
too much fun with QRP.

OTOH, I have had trouble being heard on the Elecraft SSB net.
But that's a wide band mode. Perhaps if I aimed my dipole toward
Oregon instead of Rhode Island it would work better. :-)

The choice between K3 and KX3 was easy for me. The K3 was being
delivered. :-)

Cheers - Bill