Duane,

The KX3 is definitely an SDR - the K3 is too - the firmware defines the
function of the radio.
Somehow the "SDR" term has become construed in some ham's minds that a
computer is required if it is an SDR, but look at the "Software Defined
Radio" literally - the firmware loaded into the radio determines how it
functions, and that is what SDR really means - anything extra is an
extension.

Comparing the KX3 with the K2 and K3 is a different question.  They will
all perform quite well, and are all in the top area if the Sherwood
listings.  The big advantage of the K3 and KX3 over the K2 is that the
RX bandwidth is continuously adjustable where the K2 is only adjustable
when you do the filter alignment - you have 4 filter bandwidths per mode
to work with - on the K3 and KX3 that is adjustable in infinite steps
with a knob control.

The KX3 vs. the K3 question is one of operating convenience and
preferences.If you are looking for portable over the convenience of
connections, then the KX3 is the better choice.  The K3 has more jacks
to connect to external devices such as a soundcard for digital operation
while the KX3 can do that too if you use a cable to the mic and
headphone jacks, but that replaces the normal mic and headphone connections.

So all 3 are quite capable transceivers - decide on your usage
preferences and make your decision on that basis..

73,
Don W3FPR