Thanks for the info on the batteries. I went through some of the ones I have
and the last batch I got are Sanyos (ordered online) and they say Japan on
them. I may just charge these up and see how they work, I think they are
around 2 years old (I used them in my camera and HT before).

On a side note,

Instead of making an external battery case... I was thinking of using the
ones inside the rig. Has anyone tapped in to the wires for these and run an
external plug for a charger? Is there anything I have to be careful with?

I have a Micro M+ solar charge controller that I use with my SLA and was
thinking of running a wire from the batter cases, through the 2m antenna
port (plug right now), and put a Power Pole on the end. The controller has
diodes in it so the current only goes one way.

Another thought is my panel is made out of some Powerfilm panels (10 5omA
strips). Last time I was out on the trials I strapped the panel to my pack.
It wasn't in direct sunlight, but it was working while I was hiking. Now,
how about one of those gyroscope mounts that tracks the sun? That might make
my solar charging more efficient on the go HI.

Steve, KC8QVO