Mark:

As you know I am a big supporter of the SDR-1000, having written much of the code that makes it run. I also own K2 serial number 4201 which I built and proudly operate all the time. For years, there was not a receiver that could compare to the Elecraft K2. It was and in many ways still is the "standard to beat". The debt of gratitude we owe Wayne and Eric for doing this project and the many others they have done and are doing, is beyond compare. Elecraft is DIRECTLY responsible in my opinion for the levels to which receivers have risen. Until the SDR-1000 with its new front end, you had to pay thousands to get a comparable receiver. Every single day that I worked on the SDR-1000 front end refinements, cajoling, begging, and FINALLY doing it myself, was directly attributable to the fact that I could not stand the front end overload on the SDR-1000 and saw what Elecraft had achieved.

Time and technology marches on. The Sirenza parts we now use in the SDR-1000 did not exist when Eric and Wayne did the engineering. That said, the Elecraft K2 still kicks EVERYONE's behind in the total composite noise department because of their foresight in making this both a DDS based VFO AND following that DDS based VFO with a PLL to clean up the spurs. In the article you point to, which will be in the upcoming QST, http://www.flex-radio.com/articles_files/2005-10_QST_Review.pdf, you can the DDS spurs in the "worst case" composite noise picture. You can see that at 60 wpm, the dits are two entire elements behind the key closure. I could go on, but the facts are, there is much more to comparing transceivers and receivers, than just the receiver dynamics numbers. Yes the SDR-1000 has the best close in dynamic range right now. That will fall soon. The need to pack more transmitters into more and more crowded spectrum is driving the manufacturer of higher dynamic range and higher "IP2,IP3" and BDR receivers.

I am EXTREMELY proud of the work I have done on the SDR-1000 with AB2KT and the folks at Flex. Frank and I are proud owners and regular users of our Elecraft equipment, and we will continue to be.

73's
Bob
N4HY

Mark Tyler wrote: