On 10/21/2012 08:05 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> You can use the tip contact of the ACC2 jack as a PTT input. Set
> MENU:ACC2 IO to "LO=PTT".
>
> You can plug your key directly into the ACC2 jack if it has a 2.5-mm
> stereo plug. If not, you'll need an adapter like the one supplied as
> part of our KX3 accessory cable kit.

Thank you for the response!

If I were to use a Y-cable, that plugged into both KEY and ACC2 (ACC2
via 3.5mm-to-2.5mm adapter), would this work?  My key is only a straight
key, but for some reason, it has a stereo (not mono) 3.5mm plug.

I'm curious: Would it be possible to add a software feature to allow the
use of a key as a PTT switch?  It seems rather strange to have the key
toggle TX/RX in CW mode just fine, but to lock out that function in all
other modes except for CW.  As the KX3 is very small and compact, it
would be an advantage to minimize the cables, and maximize the functions
available through existing accessories.  Allowing a single key to be
used for both CW and PTT would make a lot of sense.

Thank you!

I'm glad you have an accessory cable kit available.  Finding good 3.5mm
to 2.5mm adapters that actually work seems to be unusually difficult.
Most of them are made for cellular headsets (4-pin), not stereo
headphones (3-pin).  I realize that space was limited on the KX3 to use
standard 3.5mm cables everywhere, but it's still a disappointment to not
have standardized on a single cable size.

Josh
K6JSH (formerly KJ6PVN)