Ok, some news to report!

First off, I checked all suggested solder points and basically reheated them
all just to be sure, although none really seemed suspect.  Figured might as
well give them a once over.  Started the radio up again and no change...was
about to sleep on it again, then figured it wouldn't hurt anything to give
it another "456" reset.  Surprise, after the Info 201 on restart, the
"Elecraft" message pops up with no Info 080...and I have relay activity
again.  Changing bands also gives me relay sound with each change, and still
no Info 080.  I am also now seeing 5.44 V on pin 28 so it seems that U1 is
actually ok.  Soo...there's the good news.

Now, for the bad.  The resistance between pin 28, U1 and pin 40, U6 is
unchanged...still too low.  And another odd thing that I thought was just a
result of my problems with the Info 080 message...the VFO knob is having no
effect, whether it's changing the frequency or trying to scroll through
menus.  Previously it worked fine.  I'm missing the nut to secure the shaft
for the VFO controller to the front panel, but by fitting the VFO knob to
the shaft snugly to the front panel, it worked fine before (I planned to
email and get a replacement sent at some point but didn't want that one
thing holding up my build).  I probably have more soldering to check there,
but should I be worried about the low resistance value I'm seeing?