On 10/31/2012 4:34 PM, Mike Reublin wrote:
> Is that the addition across R91 if R91 is greater that 22 ohms? IF
> out would affect the P3, not audio volume, right?

Long thread, getting confused.

1.  The IF output [to a P3 or anything else listening to 8215 KHz on the
IF OUT BNC connector] comes from the main receiver in the K3.

2.  So far as I know, there is *no* IF output from the sub-receiver
unless you home brew it.

3.  "Earlier" K3 S/N's had a somewhat low IF output for a P3, which
probably didn't exist then.  Elecraft offers a mod [you're surprised?
:-)].  It involves removing one SM resistor and replacing it with
another.  They supply both an SMD and a leaded-resistor, with
instructions for both.  I used the leaded one, works fine.

4.  I don't know what "earlier" means, but my K3 is S/N 642 and I did
the mod.  Second biggest problem was disconnecting the nest of wires
from my "wireless" to get it out to work on.  Biggest problem was
reconnecting all of them.

5.  Somewhere in the delivery of "later" S/N's, the mod has been
incorporated.

6.  With the mod completed [really easy], and all the wires reconnected,
I calibrated my S-meter to S9=50uV from my service monitor.  The P3 then
calibrated nicely so S9=-73dBm on the ordinate.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org