Hello Tony,

Last night I changed over from a true RS232 CAT interface to a USB to
Serial port converter.  I had all kinds of problems with N1MM and
Logger32 not recognizing the new set-up.  Then I re-booted the computer
and all worked great.

You didn't say what you're using for a CW interface...I use WinKey. You
can also use a single cable for CAT and CW keying.  I used this once for
a contest and it worked well.  Here's how:

***
At Dayton I heard rumors that the K3 (and the KX3) could send CW in N1MM
Contesting program with no need for a second control line (RS-232 or
Interface to key through the key jack). I searched the K3 mailing list
and found this from Joe, W4TV:

"You can use a standard USB to serial adapter to do PTT and CW with the
K3 with no other interface. Set the K3's CONFIG:PTT-KEY menu item to
rtS-dtr, check CW/Other on the "Radio" port in N1MM, set DTR = CW, set
RTS=PTT and *UNCHECK* all of the "PTT via Radio Command" options."

"The degree to which CW operates cleanly depends on other processes in
your computer. You may or may not be happy with the results... "

This weekend for the CQ WPX CW I tried it and it worked flawlessly!

I have done a screen capture of the configuration screen in N1MM and
posted it at:
http://www.k8zt.com/K3_Keying_CW_with_N1MM.jpg

***

I don't know if this will help but it's worth a shot.

On 10/31/2012 8:26 PM, Tony McClenny wrote:
> Although I have used it before, cannot seem to setup my K3 with N1MM so that
> it keys the rig - annoying - help would be appreciated.  Thank you in
> advance.
>

> The program indicates "No CW port is setup in config".
>

> Configurer shows port 8 with checkmark in CW box - perhaps my settings in
> the COM8 box are wrong?
>

> Using RS-232 cable from computer with virtual software on port 8 - other
> programs work on this port.
>

> Sound cables from computer to radio work for all modes using other software.
>

> OE for certain.
>

> - Tony, N3ME -
>

> 118 Ashwood Street
> Bethany Beach, DE 19930-9699