Thanks, Tom (N0SS) & Wayne (N6KR) for the backlight upgrade for my K1.  Now,
the rig is complete!

While the kit and instructions are first rate, this upgrade is not for the
faint of heart.  Although I was careful not to use any more heat than necessary
in removing the cut pins from the old LCD, I did have one PCB trace lift up.
To restore the path, I fabricated a jumper from a piece of the thin enamelled
wire left over from the K1 kit.

I'd suggest forgetting about desoldering braid and solder suckers to clear
solder from the PC board.  With the help of the XYL, we were easily able to
clear the holes using a toothpick (just push and twist).  I think the toothpick
helps to carry away some of heat, too, protecting the PC board traces.

Well done, Tom & Wayne.  73, Jim KM5M