Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, physical size is
an issue, which is why I mentioned the coin cells.  I don't know if a
coin cell holder will fit in the available space, and I had thought of
that possibility, but I will investigate further. The cells can be no
larger than the 2032 size. However, I will investigate mounting the
memory cells at another location inside the set and running wire leads
to the original  location. One of my applications is inside a FT-100D
transceiver.  Other sets probably have more "elbow room" and for those
the battery holder is a good idea.  And yes, I can purchase coin cells
in any size or quantity I want at the local market, but none that have
solder tabs or PC-mount pins.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

We now return you  to your regularly scheduled reflector.

- Jim, KL7CC