Folks,

I am trying to understand the tuning approach taken by the KAT500,
specifically how it relates to the PTT line.  The KAT500 manual (Rev. A) on
page 13 spells out precautions to take when using the KAT500 with a
non-Elecraft amplifier.  This appears to be necessary to protect some
amplifiers from damage, in case the PTT line opens up while the amp is
energized and putting out power.  Page 5 of the manual states that the key
line opens whenever a KAT500 tune operation occurs.  So should my concern
for non-Elecraft amp damage only relate to band changes, as page 13 implies,
or will PTT open whenever the KAT500 senses a high SWR and retunes, even if
on the same band? It would be impractical for me to anticipate KAT500
retuning when moving into a new band segment and try to shut down the amp
per the procedure on page 13.

--Ed--