I don't have much experience with contesting but I'll add that one of my
favorite uses for the noise reduction (NR) feature is to cut down on ear
fatigue from atmospheric noise when I have the rig on "in the background"
all day.

I like to listen to the band with a wide filter setting so I can tune to
something interesting when I hear it, but that constant background noise is
hard on my ears after a while. NR solves it.

I often disable NR when I'm tuned to a signal of interest, because it
sounds more natural to me.

--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net
..