Hello Stephen,

It sounds inspirational!  I have never found CW very restful or been able to
copy in
my head.   I think it all started when I first learned CW the wrong way....it
took me
two tries to get the 13 wpm General class license back in the 60's.  And I was
sweating bullets as I typed out the letters on a borrowed laptop computer
during my
Extra license test (I can't hand write 20 wpm)!  What is the secret (if there
is a
secret) to learning how to copy in your head?  In lieu of mentally copying, is
there
some cheap (free) program to type out what you are receiving and then to use
the
keyboard to send CW too?  My keyboard speed isn't really super duper, but it
sure is
a LOT better than my handwriting ability!!!

I have just bee introduced to N1MM, and that seems to work great with my K3 and
laptop computer, but it really seems geared for quick openings or working
pileups.
Is there something better suited to casual CW QSO's?

VY 73, Lance

On 11/8/2012 7:23 PM, Stephen Roberts wrote:
> Well I've been at it for about 8 months now and have worked only CW (about
> 1100 QSOs to date) since I got my ticket . I'm just beginning to be able to
> put down the pen and copy in my head. Sure I miss a couple of words here and
> there, but for the most part I'm getting much better. I think I'm at a
> transition point and finding that even though I don't have to write down copy
> I find it somewhat reassuring and often do it anyway so I don't miss
> anything. Of course if the WPM goes much faster than about 22 WPM, I can't
> write fast enough anyway so I have to really focus and let the old brain have
> at it. I think once I hit the one year mark, I should be in pretty good shape
> and expect to be able to send and copy at about 30 wpm...not that I have a
> need for speed, but it's just an observation on my progress during my first
> year as a ham. It's certainly more relaxing to just sit there and close my
> eyes and listen rather than frantically trying to write down everything!
>
> 73
> Steve
> W1SFR
>

> On Nov 8, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
>
>> Hope anyone who's interested in getting into CW isn't put off by the
>> thought of spending hundreds of hours to train or being bored by just
>> another digital mode. Larry is 50% right here. I mean that in a positive
>> way (i.e. not "50% wrong"!)
>>
>> To say that CW is just another digital mode, or that it takes hundreds of
>> hours to train, isn't necessarily correct.
>>
>> Some of the most exciting moments I had doing CW were when I was studying
>> code before I got my ticket, (barely) copying 5 WPM in Mass. from a station
>> in Florida which seemed like pulling magic out of the air. At that point I
>> had only about 24 hours of CW training. When I got the ticket, my first QSO
>> was on a straight key from Tenn. to Washington state (still have the QSL
>> card, N7CEY!) was equally thrilling, largely because it was hands-on
>> (Internet wasn't even mainstream yet).
>>
>> It's a very different *experience* than having a computer do it for you.
>>
>> I agree with Larry's recommendation to just jump in and immerse yourself in
>> the mode, in whatever form. One way isn't better than the other. For
>> upcoming CW enthusiasts, only by trying the different methods available to
>> you - digital or analog makes no difference - will you find what you like
>> and what you can do without. Find your niche and enjoy it; it's YOUR niche
>> and there's a lot of fun out there when you find it. Decode-by-brain comes
>> quick for some, especially when they enjoy it. And then, training is
>> ongoing - so yes, it can certainly require hundreds of hours, but for some
>> those hours seem like a thrill not a chore.
>>
>> --Andrew, NV1B
>> maineware.net
>> ..
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Larry Libsch <llib...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> [...]

Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: w...@hotmail.com
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!