Ed -

I think you are confusing the power handling capability of a tuner with
it's ability to match a non-50 ohm load.  A tuner may be able to match a
highly reactive load at low power, but be totally unable to handle the
same load at higher power levels.  The match involves selecting the
appropriate values of capacitance and inductance to transform a high SWR
load to 50 ohms resistive so the transmitter final amplifier can deliver
power efficiently.  However,  when substantial power is applied, the
result of the needed transformations can easily result in voltages and
currents that far exceed the ability of the components comprising the
matching network to handle them.

Let's assume your tuner is matching a load that presents a 6 to 1 SWR.
Let's further assume that you have a 100 watt transmitter.  At 50 ohms,
100 watts represents about 70 volts RMS of RF signal. or about 101 volts
peak.  No problem for a capacitor in the matching network to handle at
50 ohms, but that 6:1 SWR means that the voltage could now be 420 volts
RMS or almost 600 volts peak - still not too much of a problem.  But,
suppose you increase the transmitter power from 100 watts to 1000
watts.  The RF voltage at 50 ohms increases to 223 volts RMS, (315 volts
peak), and when the4 6:1 SWR is taken into account, that voltage is now
about 1338 RMS volts, or 1820 volts peak.  The same sort of thing
happens with currents.  At 1000 watts, the RF current at 50 ohms is a
little less than 5 amperes.  But at 6:1 SWR, there will be places where
the current is almost 27 amperes - a significant amount to be sure.

Depending on where the tuner is physically located in respect to the
standing wave on the transmission line, a voltage or current peak could
occur directly at the output terminals of the matching network.  If that
happens, the components of the matching network could easily be stressed
well beyond their ability to cope.

So, while the coupler may be able to handle lower power levels without
distress, the same is not true at high power.   In your example, 1000
watts at a 14:1 SWR could result in peak voltages of about 4400 volts
and/or  currents approaching 63 amperes RF.  Not many components can
handle those voltages and currents, and those that can are physically
very large, certainly much larger than those that can fit inside the
cabinet of a KAT500.

- Jim, KL7CC