Here are the instructions from some other kits:

Install surface-mount inductor L3. Pre-tin the inductor pads on
the PC board sparingly with solder before installing the part.
Place this component on the two pad locations and restrain
carefully in place with tweezers. Tack one end down with the
soldering iron, solder the other end sparingly, and retouch the
end originally tacked down. Good component alignment is
important to ensure that there are no short-circuits- check your
work carefully for solder bridges.

U1 Installation: It's important to install the Surface-mount IC
(U1) first- it's more difficult to install when surrounded by
other components. Remove U1 from its protective packaging and
place it over the pads on the board. Do not pre-tin the pads.
'Tack' down one of the IC corner pins while holding the device
down with a fingertip. Move to the opposite side of the IC and
solder all pins down. Note: it's easiest to use an excess of
solder and remove the excess with solder-wick. (Solder the
second group of 4 pins and wick as needed.

I have built both kits and had no problems. I didn't use solder
wick on the 8 pin U1 chip, just careful use of a narrow chisel
soldering iron tip and thin solder. I use a temperature
controlled, ESD safe soldering station.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV