Hi Steve,

An AT thru-hike is a gruelling exercise. The last thing you're going to want to
do at the end of a 20-mile day is play radio. You're also going to quickly
decide that there are far more important things that could be taking up the
space and weight in your pack.

If you're still determined to pack a radio, at least leave the solar panel at
home -- it just ain't worth it. I would be surprised if the AA's didn't last
you a week. You didn't specify what radio you want to use, but I'll assume it's
a KX3. On a recent backpacking trip I operated SSB at *10* watts for about 5
hrs and when I returned home found that I still had a 60% charge on my 4200 mAh
LiFePO4 battery.

Good luck with your hike!

Mark
AI4BJ